End of CoPS Phase 1
We are thrilled to share the remarkable achievements of the Centre of Practical Skills (CoPS) initiative, a collaborative endeavour between the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD), GODFREY OKOYE UNIVERSITY, and esteemed European private sector partners. Together, we are committed to addressing the root causes of irregular migration by empowering Nigerian youth with essential practical training, skills certification, and pathways to meaningful employment.
Key Highlights from CoPS Phase 1:
1. Tailored Vocational Profiles: We meticulously crafted three demand-driven job profiles—Electrical Installation, Masonry, and Plumbing—aligned with market needs and our valued partnerships. These profiles offer precise training and certification for aspiring youth in these technical fields.
2. Cutting-edge Curriculum Design: An international team of experts developed a comprehensive curriculum and training materials that seamlessly integrate European and Nigerian perspectives. This ensures our trainees are equipped with skills that transcend geographical boundaries.
3. Empowering Local Educators: We proudly engaged Nigerian experts in a rigorous Train the Trainer program led by international specialists. This initiative resulted in the recruitment of 14 dedicated vocational training instructors, bolstering our local educational capacity.
4. Selectively Chosen Cohort: Our nationwide call for applications generated significant interest, receiving over 2,000 submissions. Following a rigorous selection process, we proudly extended invitations to 100 exceptional trainees, embarking on a transformative journey.
5. Grand Inauguration: The official inauguration of CoPS on November 25th, 2022, was a monumental moment, capturing the attention of national and international stakeholders. This event underscored the significance of our shared mission.
6. Triumphant Practical Learning: With determination and resilience, 95 trainees (including 10 inspirational female participants) completed our unique program. Hands-on learning, complemented by theoretical instruction, formed a cornerstone of our approach.
7. Nurturing Entrepreneurial Spirit: As part of our holistic vision, CoPS integrated an entrepreneurship module into its curriculum. This innovative addition equips students with entrepreneurial skills through the Student Training for Entrepreneurial Promotion (STEP) program.
8. Celebrating Graduation: A significant milestone—92 dedicated trainees met the stringent requirements for graduation and were honoured with certificates from the Centre of Practical Skills. The graduation ceremony took place on July 15, 2023.
As we reflect on the achievements of Phase 1, we eagerly anticipate the enduring impact we’ll continue to forge in Phase 2 and beyond. Together, we shape a brighter future for Nigerian youth, catalyzing lasting change within our community. Amarachi Chike-Jerry Onyeka A. Maxwell Odimkpa Julie Adegbesan🌟👏